OK, I have to admit I was a power cable sceptic. I mean, how much difference can a power cable make? Well, as it turns out, a lot! A little research revealed that building codes in the U.S. require a minimum of 14 AWG for a 15 amp circuit, which is what most of us are plugging our beloved amps into.
So I take a look at the power cords I’ve been using all these years, and discover that they’re these cheap, skinny little 18 AWG cords with molded ends that I probably robbed from an old cable box or PC. Sound familiar? So, the power comes to the wall in 14 AWG wire, and I’m choking it down with a 18 AWG power cord. Gee, I wonder if this is affecting my tone? Yes, another rhetorical question.
I decided to build up a few cables with some audio grade connectors and do some A/B testing. Long story short; wow. Just wow. When we did the first tests with the Purple Haze™, we were using a friends Fuchs as the test amp. After the baseline test with the 18 AWG cable we swapped in the 14 AWG 100% shielded Purple Haze™, and were absolutely floored. Just like with the Copper John™ test, I thought my friend accidentally bumped the volume, as it was several dB’s louder. Plus the sound was fuller, rounder, articulate, almost 3D. I know, that sounds like a lot of breathless hyperbole. So here’s the pitch: try a Purple Haze™ , and if you don’t hear a real difference, send it back!
Check out the Purple Haze™ specs:
- DH Labs Encore AC audio grade cable
- (3) 14 AWG high-purity high-purity OFHC copper conductors
- 100% shielding for excellent noise rejection
- Audio grade Wattgate connectors
- Techflex braided sleeving
- Conductor ends tinned with Cardas Audio 4% Silver Solder for maximum conductivity
- Can also be ordered with stripped and tinned ends for hardwired connections.
- Lifetime Warranty & Assembled in USA