Cutthroat Audio’s Crystal Midge Instrument Cable is a low capacitance cable that delivers a pleasing, clean and very neutral sounding signal to your amp. The construction and materials used were selected with the studio environment in mind. As a result, you’ll notice it’s a little less flexible than a typical cable. That being said, this is really an exceptional sounding cable. Slightly “warmer” in tone that the Royal Humpy, the Crystal Midge pairs up very nicely with single coils, and bright humbuckers. It can also “smooth” out a guitar whose tone is excessively sterile or edgy.
The Crystal Midge is one of the lower capacitance instrument cables available, based on published specs. So why does capacitance matter? Well, the short version is that excessive capacitance in a cable diminishes the higher frequencies before they can get to your amp. Think of it in terms of always having your guitar’s tone knob always rolled off a little too much. That high cap cable you’ve been using can make your amp sound like somebody threw a wet blanket over it!
Check out the Crystal Midge specs:
- Van Damme Silver Series Session Grade Flat-Cap 90 cable with heavy duty, clear PVC jacket compound
- Specifically engineered for the studio environment
- Low capacitance of 27 pF/ft
- Silver plated ultra pure 99.99% Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) conductor
- Silver plated ultra pure 99.99% Oxygen FreeCopper (OFC) mesh + conductive carbon screen for 100% shielding coverage, maximum interference reduction and zero handling noise
- Foamed Polyethelene (PE) dialectic conductor insulation for maximum signal transmission
- G&H’s copper core connectors; Quiet Plug™ at instrument end + “High Clarity” plug at amplifier end
- Cardas Audio 4% Eutectic Silver Solder used for maximum conductivity
- Heavy duty, 3:1 Polyolefin heat shrink for extra durability and strain relief
- Lifetime Warranty & Assembled in USA